Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Do You Think 50s Housewives Took Naps?

So far today, I've washed two sinks full of dishes (dishwasher is broken so I had to do this the old fashioned way and take them out and beat them on a rock... wait...), 3 loads of laundry (yes, with my modern machines... I'm not a nut), changed a minimum of 6 diapers, prepared two meals (Hey, canned soup can be a meal!), and I am now baking some homemade Yeast Potato Rolls (recipe below) to go along with the chicken and noodles I am making for dinner. The two youngest are napping and I'm sitting here wondering - did Donna Reed and June Clever never take a nap? Something tells me I already know the answer to that question.

POTATO YEAST ROLLS (These rolls are surprisingly easy to make and they are AMAZING! ... this isn't really too much a part of my quest for home perfection, as I've made these periodically in the past... of course - I bet Donna and June made homemade yeast rolls every day!)
  • 2 packages fast acting yeast
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 Tlbsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup dry potato flakes
  • 6-7 cups flour, divided
  • 2-1/4 cups water heated to 130 degrees F
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
In large bowl of electric mixer, place yeast, sugar, salt, potato flakes and two cups of flour - mix together to blend. Pour in 130 degree water and oil. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes with regular beater. Insert dough hook and beat 6-1/2 minutes longer, adding flour 1/2 cup at a time, using enough to make dough elastic and no longer sticky. Cover dough and let rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
**************
Punch down dough and form into approximately 24 rolls. Place rolls on lightly greased cookie sheets, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
***************
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Bake rolls approximately 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets to rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment